The Land of Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dinner - getting acquainted

+7
Sihlus
Prince
Marcabru
Naitachel
Rowanna
Mirzan
Soraya
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dinner - getting acquainted - Page 3 Empty Re: Dinner - getting acquainted

Post  Naitachel Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:54 am

Naitachel's blush turned a slightly darker shade, but he couldn't help smiling brightly at Radu's answer. "Then I shall endeavor to keep you company as much as I may... well, as far as you find comfortable, really," he returned, suddenly wondering if that sounded a bit imposing and coloring further. He didn't want to invade the man's privacy, and he had no intention of following him into the bathing room or anything of the sort. "Ah... regardless, but tell me if I am in the way. I rather enjoy accompanying you and your family and attempting to ease your boredom."

When Marcabru offered instruments, Naitachel was a bit surprised. He hadn't seen any bags among the man's personal baggage indicating additionsl musical instruments, but then, he was still learning about many of the party members.

"I am, perhaps, a touch rusty in my skills with such, but if you have a harp or lyre, I might be able to add to your playing," the Seraph informed him, smiling sheepishly. "It has been a while, but I used to have some decent skill at either."
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:01 am

Delving into his bag again, the troubadour pulled out a small lyre, laying it on the table, and went back for a 4-foot Irish harp. "There, my friend, you may have your choice. Unless you would prefer a concert harp.... Meseems there is one in here somewhere." He struggled to maintain a straight face at the Seraph's expression. "Has anyone else a preference?" he asked the table in general. "No? Then let us begin."

Leaning back in his chair, Marcabru began to pick out a simple melody. He played it through twice, then switched off to rhythm, finger-picking a counterpoint around it as Mirzan took up the tune.

Last edited by Marcabru on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:05 am

Prince wrote:Vlad indulged in a bit of everything, enjoying the taste of the savory dishes, though he passed on the sweets. He laughed at Soraya's exclamation. "All the more of you to enjoy," He smiled.

Soraya blushed prettily at her companion's words, and she quietly took his hand under the table, feeling a bit roguish as she did so. She remained as such when Marcabru answered her request for music, and she merely cheered happily for him and Mirzan as they began their song, a catchy tune that made her tap her foot in rhythm. Naitachel soon followed their lead, adding more to the merriment of the music.

Something about the music woke her, and she found herself smiling broadly as she listened. No, it was more than that. She felt it course through her body, and she wanted to move to it.

"You were instructed in music, but were you instructed in dance?" she asked Vlad. She had no idea whether she actually could dance, but the desire to do as much was winning her over, overcoming what was left of her shyer disposition.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:13 am

"I was, indeed," Vlad replied, rising and gesturing toward the floor in invitation. "Would you care to indulge, then?"
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:21 am

The sight of the lyre made the Seraph blink--the arrival of the large harp made his eyes grow comically wide. He glanced from bard to bag and back again, awed.

"Heavens! You are ever one for surprises, Master Maracbru, and pleasant ones at that!" he exclaimed, stunned. "Thank you!"

Gently, he took the harp in hand, expertly touching light fingers to the strings like a weaver at a loom. The sound was like liquid crystal, and Naitachel breathed a sigh of pleasure at it. A few notes at a time, he carefully began to pick out an accompanyment for the other two, his expert ear finding it easy enough to merge into their song.

The Seraph was actually quite good. If this was "rusty", he normally was exceptional at playing such an instrument. Then again, what angelic wouldn't know how to play a harp?

Last edited by Naitachel on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:29 am

"I would love to," Soraya answered Vlad eagerly, standing as well. "I warn you, however, that I have no idea if I can even actually dance. I hope your feet are not too sensitive," she laughed as he led her toward the floor.

And yet she was surprised to find that, as accomplished a dancer Vlad was, she was an equally accomplished partner, able to glide across the floor easily as she joined him. No wonder she had wanted to dance so badly. It was as though her feet remembered things she could not consciously bring to mind.

Breathlessly, she laughed as she completed intricate steps to follow the three musicians as they played exquisite music.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:58 am

Vlad enjoyed leading her through more and more difficult steps, thrilled and amazed at how easily she kept up. Truly, she was an accomplished dancer.
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:34 pm

By the end of the song, Soraya was indeed breathless, and yet, as exhausted as she was, she found she was grinning from ear to ear. With reckless abandon, given the public forum in which they found themselves, she threw her arms around Vlad's neck and hugged him tightly. Warmth flooded over her, pleased she had just discovered something new about herself, something she hadn't known.

"Well, we have both surprised me this evening," she grinned when she finally released him, her cheeks having turned a light rose color from the exercise and realization of what she had done in front of all these people. "You are a wonderful dancer."

She then turned to the musicians who had made this dance possible and applauded them brightly. "And you all make a wonderful band."
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 pm

The troubadour inclined his head in gracious acknowledgement of Soraya's plaudits. "Your exuberance and grace on the boards encouraged us to greater efforts, my dear. 'Struth, I know not when I have observed such an exciting performance. One would think the pair of you had been professionally matched for years." He strummed his lute reflectively, then reached for a glass of brandy and took a sip. "Let us now slow the tempo a trifle, to allow the dancers to catch their breath. This is a ballad sung in the far north of one of the Twelve Worlds, usually by the women of the tribes, lamenting their husbands' absence." He began to play in a haunting minor key, evoking images of cold sea spray breaking over the prow of a dragon ship, and as Mirzan and Naitachel caught the chord structure and joined in, he sang:

When the gods made men of the northern climes,
They gave them a lust for life,
With a fire in the veins
Of the kings and the thanes
That would drive them afar in a search for strife
And a yearning for perilous times.

Why else would a man in the bitter spring
Abandon his hearth and home
For a horse of tree
And the storm-tossed sea,
And the constant perils of those who roam,
For the prize of a bauble or ring?

Oh, the love of a maid is but fleeting at best,
And at worst is a sample of hell.
But the curse of a foe
When you strike your best blow,
And your axe in his skull as it rings the death knell
Cheers your soul; Wotan’s got one more guest.

And when summer is done and the northern winds rise,
The dragon-ships, laden with geld,
Return to the fjords
With a waving of swords,
Great bragging about all the foes they have felled,
And num'rous additional lies."

With the final line, the music faded on a slight discord....

Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:42 am

Min, who'd taken it upon himself to dance with he pretty ladies in Nopalo's employ, couldn't help but laugh out loud at the final line. Turning to the musicians as the final discordant cord faded, he bowed deeply in appreciation of the sharing of their talents.
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:07 am

Soraya blushed as Marcabru praised her dancing with Vlad. "Sometimes it seems your feet know the way better than your mind does. It hardly seems that great a feat to follow them. You, however, have true talent."

As Marcabru, Naitachel and Mirzan began a second, quieter song, she returned to her previous seat to enjoy the music. She smiled at its lyrics, particularly when Min laughed aloud.

She applauded again, truly impressed by the performance, but this time much of the energy she had had earlier was gone. Perhaps it was the tiredness that tended to follow a large meal, or the fatigue she felt from her travels, or the soothing effects of the quieter song. Whatever it was, she found herself yawning, despite her best efforts to conceal it.

"Pardon," she apologized. "It seems my earlier nap was not sufficient to keep me going as late as I would like. I think I need to excuse myself."
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:14 am

After another song or two, Naitachel shifted to something gentle and soothing, wordless but kindly, adding soft vocal notes as well to give it an ethereal quality. The theme was simple, easy to follow for Mirzan and Marcabru. It evoked images of a gentle breeze on a still evening, soft snowflakes fluttering around like confetti, and birds dancing and playing in the gentle, feather-soft fall of white.

Once finished, he sighed, leaning back on his stool to smile gently at the harp. The Seraph loved its tone, but it was far too bulky for him to keep. Where would he keep it, in truth? His kind hadn't even any place in their home plane to store such! And in this world he traveled light with but a flying pack for missions--there was no room for instruments of any kind when you might need to fly far and fast at the drop of a hat.

"Perhaps we should all turn in for the evening? It has been a long journey, after all," he suggested. "Thank you for the loan of the harp and lyre, Master Marcabru. I should be much indebted if you might loan them to myself another night if you need accompaniment--this has been most enjoyable."

(OOC--Song: Raven In The Snow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ZVvzJ-JlM )
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:16 pm

Naitachel wrote:"Thank you for the loan of the harp and lyre, Master Marcabru. I should be much indebted if you might loan them to myself another night if you need accompaniment--this has been most enjoyable."
The troubadour bowed. "You are most welcome, my friend. 'Struth, 'tis I who should be expressing my appreciation to you. It has been long and long since that instrument has been in the hands of a master; I had nearly forgotten that such tones could be wrung from it. One might say," he added with a sly smile and a wink, "that its music was truly angelic this night."

He picked up the lyre and tucked it away in his bag, and was reaching for the harp when he stopped, struck by a sudden thought. "Please, take it with you; keep it in your room where you may enjoy it at your leisure. It may help you while away the daylight hours when our friends are otherwise occupied. If either of us is required to take his leave at a future time, that will be opportunity enough to return it. In the meantime, 'twill be happier to be used."
Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Nopalo stumped across the room to shake the musicians' hands. "Sure, an' it's been the finest entertainment we've had here in many a day, it has. 'Tis usually one o' the local lads playin' a half-tuned fiddle for his lass t' sing by. Well, 'tis singin' that she calls it, an' I'll not be disputin' her word, gentleman that I am," he chuckled, his belly bouncing merrily. He checked the drinks, to see that all who needed a refill were taken care of, and bid the rest a cheery good night.
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirzan Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:28 am

Tucking his flute into his belt as he rose, Mirzan turned to offer Rowanna a hand up. "Well, enjoyable as this was, I need my beauty-rest. It's been a long trip, and there's a lot to do tomorrow, settling in. I need to figure out longer-term arrangements for Nip before he tries eating the Inn itself, after all. Then there's figuring out our gear, settling into the rooms a bit more comfortably, repairing stuff damaged while traveling, replacing other things, and last of all, maybe some job-hunting. I'm guessing a meal or two might be in there somewhere as well. Anyway, with a list like that, better sleep while we can, eh?"

The mercenary led his fiancee towards the stairs and their rooms, Snap scurrying up his clothes to curl around his shoulders. To tell the truth, Rowanna worried him a bit, with her recent illness and trouble keeping anything down. He wanted her to rest before she got more sick. "G'night!" he called, waving a hand to the others without looking.
Mirzan
Mirzan

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:59 pm

Soraya couldn't help but be taken in by this new songs, despite her declaration of fatigue. Once the new set was over, she clapped heartily, agreeing with Nopalo's assessment that this entertainment was, indeed top notch. "Bravo!" she called happily, though strangely the word stirred the image of the cabin, much as she tried to push it away.

Once recovered, she watched Mirzan and Rowanna leave, having chosen to follow the suggestion she had made earlier, then stood as well. "I suppose I really should get some rest myself," she agreed, though tired as she was, she would have preferred to stay up later if only to have more time for a certain someone's company. Besides, Vlad probably had other things that needed tending to this evening, such as hunting. She didn't want to be a bother. It was probably wiser for her to get some sleep.

After all, though her meager possessions had already been safely stashed away in her room, she would have to spend the next few days figuring out what her next step would be. She would need to find some way of paying for her food, her lodging, as well as whatever small luxuries, such as new clothing, that she would like to afford herself.

Not to mention decide, now that she was settled somewhere, what she wanted to do about her lack of memories; she still rode the uncertain edge between wanting to know about her past and the fact that, if someone had gone through the trouble of blocking it from her, perhaps there was a reason to leave it undisturbed.

"Thank you for the dinner," she told Nopalo. "It was certainly an unequaled feast."
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Soraya wrote:"Thank you for the dinner," she told Nopalo. "It was certainly an unequaled feast."
The rotund chef beamed at her, mopping his forehead with the red bandanna. "Aye, well, we had t' put on th' dog a bit, did we not? 'Tis not every day we're havin' so many old friends drop in out o' the blue, as ye might say. Ye may be singin' another tune in a few weeks, though, an' wishin' for a new cook." He chuckled. "Not that anyone ever has, ye understand, but ye might. Aye, 'tis like havin' th' family come home, it is, an' bringin' some welcome in-laws with 'em."

He raised his voice to include them all. "Stay as late as ye wish, an' if there's anything ye need in th' night, there'll be a couple o' lads on duty t' see to yer wishes. Make yerselves at home, but if ye go messin' in th' kitchen, remember ye'll be dealin' with gentle Molly after. I'll be wishin' ye all a good night, then, an' wel - welcome home." His voice threatened to break with happy emotion, and he broke out the bandanna again as he stumped across the floor to his private quarters. The keen of hearing might have heard him blow his nose as the door closed.
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:41 am

Naitachel waved after Nopalo, echoing the general sentiment as he slid off his stool and to his feet. "Thank you again, Master Nopalo! And good night to you!"

Turning to Marcabru, the Seraph bowed gracefully to the bard. "In truth, what space I have is borrowed, but you do have a valid point...?" He glanced at Radu apologetically before shyly turning to stare at his feet instead, tail wrapping neatly around his ankles. He did not wish to impose on the hospitality already given. "I... would not know how to keep any from tripping over it, I fear, and that would do it disservice. It is a beautiful piece, and a joy to play," he admitted wistfully, touching light fingers to fondly caress a last couple notes from the strings. "But it is likely better elsewhere."
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:12 am

"You, of course, are the best judge of the situation," Marcabru replied. "I shall leave it, then, in my room, where it will be available to you at any time. Do not hesitate to take it, even in my absence." He stretched cramped shoulders and took a sip of his brandy. "I believe I shall sit and enjoy the waning of the flames for a time. It has been a most enjoyable evening."
Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sihlus Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Sihlus roused from a peaceful reverie. Although he had little appreciation for music, he did enjoy following the reactions of others as they responded to it. Apparently this had been good tonight; everyone was happy. He rose, taking Shayori's hand. "Come on, sleepyhead, you've been yawning for the last half hour. It's bedtime."
Sihlus
Sihlus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shayori Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 am

"M'not sleepy," Shayori protested even as she yawned again. "I'm listening to the music!"
Shayori
Shayori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:11 am

<We've space enough for whatever you should need or desire,> Radu assured Naitachel, though he would not risk embarrassing him by saying so out loud. <The space is not borrowed, but well and truly yours.> Aloud, he said only, "I can imagine no place better for such a thing of beauty than with you."

Vlad rose with Soraya. "Shall I escort you up?" he asked, trying to keep the hopefulness out of his voice.
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:48 am

Flattered, Naitachel blushed a warm scarlet, glancing at Radu, but smiled happily at receiving permission to keep the musical instrument where he was sharing the vampire family's suite. For all Radu's generosity, he couldn't help but feel like it was not truly his. The concept of owning a "space" was not exactly something he was used to, even temporarily, and it was... odd. Then again, he had few actual possessions in this world, either, and fewer that meant something to him other than merely the casual use.

<Thank you... Though I hope to avoid becoming a hinderance or rude guest in shared quarters all the same.> A mischievous glint entering those golden eyes, the Seraph laughed, "So long as those I stay with do not feel annoyed by my playing, perchance I might keep it on loan a bit, Master Macrabru?" <And if I cross that line, feel free to toss balled-up socks at myself to convey so,> he laughed to the vampires. "The next few days are likely the most telling in that regard."
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Soraya smiled almost shyly at her vampire. Truth be told, she had hoped he would offer, though she hadn't wanted to be too bold by asking, either.

"I would like that very much."

She then glanced at the others, many who seemed to be even more ready for sleep than she was. "Good night!" she called one last time before taking Vlad's arm.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sihlus Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Shayori wrote:"M'not sleepy," Shayori protested even as she yawned again. "I'm listening to the music!"
"Music's over", Sihlus chuckled, "It's time for bed. Can you make it on your own, or do I have to carry you? I could pack you out over my shoulder, and make all the locals think you're drunk." His chuckle became an amused laugh. "Can't you see Molly's face in the morning when you come down for breakfast? She'll probably serve you a Bloody Mary and a raw egg."
Sihlus
Sihlus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum