The Land of Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dinner - getting acquainted

+7
Sihlus
Prince
Marcabru
Naitachel
Rowanna
Mirzan
Soraya
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dinner - getting acquainted Empty Dinner - getting acquainted

Post  Soraya Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Soraya emerged from her room looking much improved after having indulged in some sleep, a bath, and a change of clothes. These were hardly in pristine condition, but they were cleaner than her other set. She would have to see about it all cleaned, and perhaps about obtaining a few more changes, but for now, at least, this would do.

The redhead had been surprised to find that, once settled in and all of her indulgences were completed, the sun had already set. Judging by that, and by the clatter of sounds she heard coming from downstairs, she thought it should be near dinner time, and that likely meant she should emerge to meet the rest of their party. Not to mention the fact that her stomach was complaining rather loudly.

"Yes, yes, I hear you," she grumbled at the miscreant in question as she closed her bedroom door behind her. It took her a few moments and an embarrassing backtrack to puzzle out which way the stairs down to the common room lay, but she finally managed it and found her way into the dining area.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dinner - getting acquainted Empty Re: Dinner - getting acquainted

Post  Mirzan Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:14 am

Once getting all their gear within and to their assigned room, Mirzan simply left it all there in a pile. Like most men, he felt a pack was as good as a closet any day. Eventually things like clothes would find their way to the closet and drawer, right? Only his weaponry did he set on a stand to the side (except for the swords and dagger he still wore at his sides), his armor and Nip's harness and gear as well rested neatly in a corner on a chair. It had been a long day after many long days, and the mercenary was too tired to care about more. In his opinion, food, bath, and sleep were priority and the rest could be dealt with at leisure now that they were here and intending to stay.

Leaving Rowanna a few minutes to settle in a bit more, and Snap scurrying around their rooms in search of vermin (which wouldn't last long), he stepped downstairs to the common room and with a sigh flopped into a chair, leaning it back to prop his feet up. Glancing over at Soraya, he chuckled quietly.
"If Nopalo's still cooking, we're in for a treat. He makes some wonderful stuff, nice and easy on the somach and a fun surprise for the mouth..."
Mirzan
Mirzan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:22 am

Rowanna waited until Mirzan went down to dinner to begin cleaning up and putting things away. Only when everything was in it's place did she make her way down to dinner. She spied Mirzan seated near Soraya and made her way there. Hearing his comment as she entered, she smiled. "I cannot imagine he'd let another near his kitchen."
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

https://thelandofdragons.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:56 am

Mirzan wrote:"If Nopalo's still cooking, we're in for a treat. He makes some wonderful stuff, nice and easy on the somach and a fun surprise for the mouth..."

Rowanna wrote:"I cannot imagine he'd let another near his kitchen."

"After surviving for so long on dried meats and stale bread, any decent, warm meal will feel like something of a feast," the redhead admitted. It wasn't as though Georgianna hadn't done as well as could be expected on their travels, but due to the necessity of constantly being on the move, their meals had often left something to be desired. "Though I look forward to tasting this man's cooking, if it is as legendary as you say."

Soraya sat forward, then, and asked, "How exactly is it that you know Master Nopalo?"
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:50 am

Naitachel entered the common room then, his travel-pack in hand, and set it down in an unobtrusive place. In truth, he had no idea where he himself might be meditating this night, as he had stayed with the vampires to keep them company until the rain ended and darkness set in officially. Still, he didn't need much more than somewhere he might sit and indulge his meditating, as he didn't need a bed and real sleep, nor a bath of any kind. Amusingly, the mud from the storm outside refused to stick to him, so though he was still slightly damp from earlier, his trailing white robes and grey boots were still immaculate, and he did not track any inside.

Looking about, he finally found a stool at the bar and settled comfortably on that, glancing about with a cheerful smile to take in his surroundings. "It is a very quaint place, I should think," he decided happily. "And Mister Nopalo seems a very kindly man." At Soraya's question, he looked to Mirzan and Rowanna eagerly for their answer.

Last edited by Naitachel on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 am

"We first met at an inn called Mylanders. A lifetime ago..." Rowanna answered softly, her eyes upon the table top. "He helped with a... situation... I faced." She shuddered slightly at the memory. "He... and others..." She glanced at Mirzan, "protected me when I was less able to protect myself."
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:54 pm

"Good evening, Naitachel!" Soraya brightened at the seraph's entrance. She had seen the way dirt refused to cling to him before, but this fact was glaringly apparent now, and she tried to hide her laughter. "I trust you rested well and kept good company?"

Noting Rowanna's discomfort, Soraya placed a warm, gentle hand upon the woman's. "I am sorry, I did not intend to bring up dark memories," she said quietly. She quickly removed her hand, returning it to its proper place in her lap, wondering if perhaps she had overstepped some personal boundaries by that action, and yet she hadn't been able to stop herself. Her heart went out to Rowanna; whatever it was she had gone through, it obviously still haunted her.

"Well, at the very least, we now have a safe place to be," the redhead ventured, "and perhaps some warmer tales can be shared as well. It seems difficult to believe that the lot of you do not have some fondness for those days, judging by the warm welcome we have received."

She was trying hard to swallow against the sadness that threatened from knowing that her own fond memories may never be known to her. Instead of letting it show, she chose to focus on the fact that the sun had set, and that the vampires should be appearing soon along with the rest of their party to make this a true celebration of their arrival in their new home.

Last edited by Soraya on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:05 am

Rowanna was startled by the gesture, but not unappreciative. She'd had so little time to get to know Soraya, but couldn't help but feel that perhaps they were more alike than different.

"Thank you," Rowanna replied, placing a gentle hand upon the young woman's shoulder, noting the hint of sadness in her eyes when she glanced up. "In truth, I've many a fond memory of those days. Everyone I hold dear, I met there. Through their kindness, their patience and their teaching, I found acceptance in the world around me, and in myself. I'd never had that before. "
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirzan Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:17 am

The mercenary chuckled and put his feet down to reach out and squeeze his fiance's hand. "Yeah, well, we met for the first time back then during all that. And from there, look where we've come. A bit of a journey and some up and downs, coming and going, but we've only gotten the closer for it in the end. And we still have a few other friends tagging along from then, too--like Sihlus and Marcabru. Rough times or not, I still call them good memories..."

Waving to the barmaid, he requested an ale to tide him over until dinner was finished, and glanced at the others in case they wanted anything as well. "You'll like Nopalo's pies, Soraya. He makes a few damn good ones. Just--like Rowanna said--stay out of his kitchen. He's a bit possessive of it, if I recall right."
Mirzan
Mirzan

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 am

Nait nodded to Soraya. "We passed the time well," he told her cheerfully, "with a bit of song now and then... And there was some discussion about what might be placed where, I think. It does them good to look forward to settling in."

At Rowanna's unhappy memories, the Seraph cast her a look of concern, but as Soraya and Mirzan came to her aid, he relaxed on his stool again, smiling to himself. Rowanna was clearly in good hands.

"It sounds as though you came away from that unhappy experience with good friends, at least, and that not all your time then was unhappy at that," he observed brightly. "As the good friends have lasted the test of time, and in Nopalo's case, distance, you truly are blessed, Lady Rowanna."
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 am

Lady Rowanna. She still couldn't get used to that. She knew herself to be no lady, but merely a commoner. A peasant. And yet, here among her friends she was always treated as if she were somehow more. She blushed, but couldn't bring herself to argue. Especially not when the conclusion was so clearly correct. "I am indeed," she responded softly, giving Mirzan's hand a gentle squeeze. "Very blessed."
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:48 am

Though a much more recent addition to this group, Soraya couldn't help but agree. "Indeed. I feel as though we were all rather blessed in joining this group. After all, where would I be had you all not come to my rescue?" she asked. The question was a rhetorical one, though she knew the answer well enough - quite likely dead, either murdered or starved to death. Or at the best, struggling to manage a day-to-day existence where food was scarce and where she trusted no one, living in complete emotional isolation.

What made her most sad about the idea was that she would not have met these friends, Vlad in particular.

"Perhaps I should start with some dinner, then," Soraya smiled at Mirzan's commentary on pies. "Much as pies sound inviting, I hardly think they would make a suitable meal," she laughed.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:00 am

After spending the early afternoon unpacking his belongings from his bag and putting them away here and there in his room, Marcabru spent the rest of the day bringing his journal up to date, interspersing the entries with an occasional short nap. Around sundown he roused himself and took a leisurely bath. "My word," he exclaimed, "running water! And hot, as well. I must inquire of Nopalo as to how such a feat is accomplished." Dressing in his usual everyday garb, fawn doublet and emerald green hose, well-worn black leather boots, and a black belt supporting a bejeweled scimitar, he hung his bag over his shoulder and made his way downstairs to the common room.

As he entered the room, the troubadour spotted others of the group at a table and took a seat with them. "Good evening, my friends. I trust we are all comfortably situated in our new quarters? I confess myself extremely pleased with mine. Eh? Oh, brandy, my dear," he said to the serving wench who appeared at his side. "Sheerwater, if available, otherwise the next best brand." He sat back, watching with appreciation the slight twitch as she walked away. "It will be pleasant to sleep the night through without being aroused for guard duty, will it not?"
Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:47 pm

Rowanna almost laughed at that. It had never been her nature to sleep through a night uninterrupted no matter where she was, her fear of that which might lay in wait against herself and her companions, when she had them, being so great as it was, and yet the thought always sounded so pleasant to her she had to agree. At the young servant's question, she answered quietly, "Hot tea, please. Perhaps with a bit of honey if you have it."
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:18 pm

Soraya smiled in greeting as Marcabru joined them at the table. "Sleep, I think, will be only one of the many things we will be catching up on now that we have somewhere more permanent to rest our feet," she laughed. "As already pointed out, eating properly, for one," she said, glancing at Rowanna. To be honest, she hadn't seen the woman ingest much of anything during their travels. She wanted to ask her if everything was alright, but she knew this was hardly the place to do so, with the whole of the common room nearby to listen. Besides, Mirzan would already be ensuring she was properly caring for herself.

"Wine, please," she requested of the serving wench absently, before realizing she was still living on borrowed money. "Oh, um, actually, perhaps just some water," she amended quickly.

She turned her attention back to Marcabru, then. "At the risk of being presumptuous, perhaps we could even be given the honor of enjoying some of your singing this evening in celebration," she suggested sweetly.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 pm

"Wine is fine," a voice behind her offered gently. Vlad nodded in greeting to those at the table, and pulled a seat up next to the beauty whose company he so enjoyed. "And one for myself as well, if you would." He looked to those at the table for suggestions as he asked, "What shall we dine upon this eve? I admit, being unfamiliar with the cook, I am at a loss. However, I should be willing to see us all well fed if one among you would do us the honor of seeing it ordered."

Though they had no desire to trample the pride of any among them, it had been noted along the way that not all were of means and some few in their group appeared sadly underfed. Thus, the family had agreed among themselves to see that corrected if those they traveled with would allow it without taking offense.

Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Marcabru Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Soraya wrote:She turned her attention back to Marcabru, then. "At the risk of being presumptuous, perhaps we could even be given the honor of enjoying some of your singing this evening in celebration," she suggested sweetly.
The troubadour inclined his head in assent. "Nothing, dear lady, would afford me greater pleasure. There are other musicians in our party as well, although they seek to keep their talents beneath a bushel. Perhaps they may be persuaded to join us." He fell silent as Vlad approached, and smiled at his question.
"What shall we dine upon this eve? I admit, being unfamiliar with the cook, I am at a loss. However, I should be willing to see us all well fed if one among you would do us the honor of seeing it ordered."
"In truth, my lord, you have proposed a question which has no incorrect answers," Marcabru replied. "I have found it most satisfactory, where mine host is concerned, to abandon myself to his pleasure. This invariably results in greater pleasure for me than if I had relied upon my own inferior judgement. However, for an introduction to his cuisine, I would suggest his family style dinner. You may specify your choice of flesh, fish or fowl, and its method of preparation. All else will be placed in quantity upon the table for you to sample as you will." He sent an inquiring glance around the table. "What say you, my friends, shall we try pot luck? I must give a word of warning; one is in great danger of stuffing oneself to the point that he has no capacity for a truly enormous slice of pie."
Marcabru
Marcabru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirzan Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:10 am

The mercenary nodded to second Marcabru's response on the food. After all, he remembered Nopalo's creations well. Or, at least he thought he did, as little seemed to compare since, but you never know until you try it again if that's just the wistfulness of memory. So he had every intention of trying it again and refreshing his memory with the truth.

"Pot luck sounds good," he agreed, sipping his ale. "And so we just settle for a smaller slice of pie, eh, Marcabru? Kind of hard to say no to his pies... so you have to compromise somewhere."

Mirzan eyed Rowanna a bit worriedly, though. She hadn't been eating much during the journey, and could use to regain weight lost during that time. She'd been feeling unwell even before they left, at that. If any food could do it, Nopalo's should... But what if it didn't?
Mirzan
Mirzan

Back to top Go down

Post  Naitachel Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 am

"I think I shall stay with simply water myself, thank you," Naitachel decided quietly when the serving girl came up to him. He cast a sympathetic glance Soraya's way. After all, he too had no money to live on, but he also didn't require human food to continue, only quiet meditations. Ordinary water suited his needs well enough here.

"Will the rest of the family be joining us, or are they still settling into your new home?" Naitachel asked Vlad curiously. The cottage and suite allotted them seemed large from his glimpse of it outside, and so might take some time to make comfortable and organize appropriately. Of course likely Radu was in the thick of it, so the Seraph did not expect him to arrive anytime soon, much as he enjoyed his friend's company.

"Other musicians, you say? I was not aware any others played instruments of any kind," Nait exclaimed, surprised by Marcabru's information. "If you do not mind my asking, who else, and what do they play?"
Naitachel
Naitachel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rowanna Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:17 am

Rowanna bowed her head, listening but not commenting. For all Nopalo's cooking had always been a wonder, somehow the very thought of food still made her a bit green. Perhaps she was just tired, yet, from their travels, she supposed. She could feel Mirzan's gaze upon her and knew he worried. Her hand went to her stomach, willing away the unease as she sipped the tea, praying everything would settle.
Rowanna
Rowanna
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:21 am

"I shall look forward to sampling a bit of everything." Vlad smiled. In answer to Naitachel's question, he nodded. "I believe it is their intention to join us very shortly. Min looks forward to potential new companionship, and I am certain Uncle would not pass up an evening in your company."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Soraya Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 am

Soraya smiled brightly as Vlad settled next to her. "Good evening," she greeted, realizing she was too late to protest his insistence on the wine. The two had had a blossoming romance before they had been set to flight, and though they had spent as much time as possible getting further acquainted while on the move, the arrangements of traveling made it difficult to steal much time privately together. This had significantly slowed their progress. With things settling here, Soraya had to admit that she was more than looking forward to resuming their relationship.

The realization that things could now continue made her blush in anticipation, and, admittedly, some nervousness.

"I should hardly be the naysayer," the redhead chimed in, silently congratulating herself on a steady voice. "Potluck it is," she agreed. "And if I am too full to enjoy pie, well, I suppose that delicacy will have to wait until the next time. After all, we will have several meals here, unless I am mistaken."

"Thank you," she said quietly to Vlad, wishing she had more to offer in gratitude.

At Naitachel's questions, her ears perked. Indeed, she herself had not realized there were other musicians in the group, and she couldn't help but smile secretly at Naitachel (and Radu's) enjoyment of each other's company, though neither seemed to have considered further possibilities. Yet.

"Yes, who else in our group may we try to persuade to join in the music?" she queried.
Soraya
Soraya
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sihlus Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:15 am

As people began to filter into the common room, the large grey cat awoke and looked around, peeping through a vase of dried plants and feathers someone had stuck up on the mantle as 'decoration.' Slowly, silently, he faded from sight and reappeared with a faint *pop* in his sitting room upstairs. A silvery shimmer, and Sihlus the man walked quietly across the room and through the bedroom door, coming to a halt beside the bed. He looked down at Shayori, a picture of innocent beauty with tangled hair and kicked-aside covers. A gentle snore escaped her parted lips. Sihlus lifted a long strand of hair and tickled her nose with it.
Sihlus
Sihlus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shayori Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:55 am

Shayori shifted, swatting at whatever it was irritating her without opening her eyes. Her flame red hair fanned out across the pillow. Her lithe frame sprawled across the bed.

"Temperat ignes excitare ardere dicant simul atra corde inimicórum ardens..." she muttered, nearly unintelligibly. The fire in the fireplace suddenly roared higher, emitting an unnatural heat.
Shayori
Shayori
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sihlus Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:16 am

"What the...!" Sihlus exclaimed, turning so quickly that he jostled the bed. Thinking they were under attack, he cast around for inimical minds, but could find nothing. Nothing but... he homed in on Shayori's thoughts. Enraged, seeking to destroy... but fading as she was aroused. He shook his head; those couldn't have been her thoughts. That mind was older, much older; more disciplined and under complete control. Nevertheless, he had to believe his own senses. She must have been the cause of the incident.

As Shayori awakened, the blast of flame dwindled back to its normal state, tiny flames nibbling at the few remaining bits of wood. Sihlus abruptly sat down on the edge of the bed, taking her hands to get her undivided attention. "How did you do that? And what were you dreaming to stir up that much rage? I thought you were going to burn the house down."
Sihlus
Sihlus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum