The Land of Dragons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Evening... Time to make plans.

2 posters

Go down

The Evening... Time to make plans. Empty The Evening... Time to make plans.

Post  Nopalo Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Shortly after sundown, the rotund innkeeper returned to the storage area and sought out the vampire family patriarch. "Prince Radu, if ye're ready, m'lord, I can be takin' ye to yer rooms now, but I've been thinkin' some, an' I've had an idea that might be more to yer likin'. y'see, m'lord, I own all th' land around fer several miles, an' all th' buildin's on it. Now, there's a cottage down th' lake a bit... well, now I say cottage, 'cause that's what th' old owner called it when he kept his mistress there, but there's 16 rooms an' almost that many baths, an' a cellar complex under th' whole shebang. Ye could be fixin' it up t' suit yer needs, an' nobody would bother ye." He grinned conspiratorially. "But best of all, there's a tunnel runnin' from there t' here, with a secret passage up to th' Master Suite. Now here's what I've been thinkin': Ye could use th' Master Suite as yer 'official' residence -- there's plenty o' room fer yer immediate family -- an' keep th' bulk o' yer servants, and yer business, in th' cottage." He mopped his brow with a red bandana. "But if that don't agree with ye, m'lord, we've room enough (an' magic enough) t' meet yer needs, whatever they might be."

Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Evening... Time to make plans. Empty Re: The Evening... Time to make plans.

Post  Prince Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am

Radu was genuinely stunned by the innkeeper's generosity. "I would be most grateful for the residence you offer, Master Nopalo. I fear our hours and habits are somewhat... unusual... and require a degree of privacy not all would respect or understand." Pale crystal blue eyes peered intently at the innkeeper a moment before asking, "Pray, what might we offer you in return?"
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:23 am

Nopalo grinned. "Aye, well, m'lord, ye understand I'm not in business t' lose money, but neither am I inclined t' be cheatin' my friends, or their friends. I was thinkin' in terms o' maybe a 99-year lease with option t' buy?" He named a sum which was steep enough, but not excessive, considering everything that went with the deal.
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 am

Radu smiled. Almost laughed. Then nodded. "Would you prefer the total up front or annually?" he asked Nopalo seriously.
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 am

"Make it easy on yerself, m'lord, either way is fine with me. I've no doubt ye're an honorable man, or Marcabru an' them wouldn't be travelin' with ye."

Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 am

"Your trust honors me, sir. I shall see you promptly and fully compensated," Radu replied. Looking about, he wondered then. "How else might my own be of service?"
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 am

Nopalo looked startled at the question. The idea of his guests being "of service" had never crossed his mind. Why, they were guests, to be served and made comfortable by the staff. "Why, why, I couldn't rightly be sayin', yer Worship -- nobody's ever offered.... " He stopped abruptly as an idea struck him. "Hm. There might be somethin' at that, an' it would be benefittin' both of us. Some o' the lads like t' go out from time t' time an' bring in a deer. Makes a nice change from pork an' beef, an' I never did develop a taste fer mutton.

"Well," he continued, mopping his sweaty forehead with the ever-present bandanna, "they say they've not been findin' th' game as plentiful as it should be, an' there's been signs of people out in th' woods. Seen some tracks, too, they say, that looked like bein' wolves or big dogs. I was thinkin,' m'lord, that some o' yer lads might be cruisin' th' woods from time t' time, an' it'd be good t' know whether it's youngsters from the village yonder," (He waved in the direction of a small village a couple of miles up the lake, the opposite direction from the 'cottage.') "or somebody less desirable, who needs t' be made t' understand th' concept o' private property." He grinned. "As fer th' wolves, they're yours if ye want 'em, as well as any deer ye might take a fancy to."

The fat innkeeper felt rather proud of his suggestion. If his new tenants were who and what he thought - and Marcabru had virtually confirmed his suspicions - there would likely be a lot of activity in the woods, especially at night. Well, this might give them a bit of entertainment, as well as cleaning out the wolf pack and the trespassers.

Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 am

"I am certain fresh venison regularly can be easily enough arranged," Radu agreed. "And trespassers can be... discouraged." He smiled softly. "My own will be most grateful, now that our own hunting grounds are lost to us. Thank you, sir."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:23 pm

"Aye, well, that's that, then," said Nopalo. "Now, we'd best be doin' something about gettin' ye settled in. I was thinkin', if it meets yer pleasure, m'Lord, t' be puttin' yer family in th' Master Suite, fer tonight, anyway, an' send th' servants an' such to th' other place. If ye'd like, I could be sendin' one o' the lads along with th' carriages t' point the way to th' cottage an' show 'em where t' find th' linens an' such, so's yer folk can be gettin' t' feel at home. He's a good boy, an' trustworthy. Poor lad got some bad treatment from th' former owner, an' he was so happy when I took over th' place he followed me 'round like a puppy. 'Twas only th' past year I've been able t' step back without steppin' on him. An' he knows how t' keep his yap shut, he does." He looked anxiously at Radu. "Would that be meetin' yer approval, m'Lord?"
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:21 am

Radu nodded again. As grateful as he was for the innkeeper's willingness to accomodate them, he couldn't help but be surprised. "It would, thank you sir," he answered at last. Smiling, he added, "My dear Georgiana will be eager to put the house to rights, in her fashion. I've no doubt that your boy will be long held and quite tired before she returns him, but well fed for his efforts, if that is agreeable." He shrugged. "I fear she's rather difficult to refuse."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:17 am

Radu wrote:"My dear Georgiana will be eager to put the house to rights, in her fashion. I've no doubt that your boy will be long held and quite tired before she returns him, but well fed for his efforts, if that is agreeable." He shrugged. "I fear she's rather difficult to refuse."
The Innkeeper chuckled. "Aye, that was on o' the first things I noticed about her. An' that's another reason for ye havin' yer own diggin's. 'Twould not be a good thing, no, sir, not a good thing at all, t' be havin' her an' my Molly under th' same roof. Now, then, let's be gettin' this show on th' road. I'll find Will an' turn him over to Georgianna; he'll be around here close...."

He slowly and silently turned the knob on the outer door, then suddenly shoved it open, stopping when he heard a thump on the other side. He shook his head as he stumped out into the hall. "Will, m'lad, what have I told ye about standin' outside a door? Stay far enough back that ye won't get hit. Well, may I be takin' it that ye've done with yer chores?" Will, a flaxen-haired youngster in his late teens, picked himself up from where he'd skidded. "Yessir, all done."

"Good. Now I've got a special assignment for ye. This is Prince Radu, an' we've leased him an' his family the - uh - summer cottage." Will returned Nopalo's grin at the hesitation. "Ye'll be goin' with th' folk in th' coaches an' showin' them around the house an' all, an' ye'll be stayin' as long as ye're needed. Mistress Georgianna here will be in charge, an' ye're t' do her biddin' as if it was me own. Understood?" The boy nodded eagerly. Nopalo fished a key out of his capacious pockets and handed it to him. "Here's th' front door key, an' ye know where all th' others are kept, there in th' house. Off with ye, now, an' we'll see ye when they're settled in. Oh! Don't be comin' back through th' tunnel - use th' road. Prince Radu an' his family will be usin' th' Master Suite, an' they're not t' be disturbed. All right? Good. Go."
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:50 am

As Nopalo spoke to his serving boy, Radu called Georgiana and Xandr over to him. "Master Nopalo has been gracious enough to lease us a cottage nearby."

"A cottage," Georgiana interrupted, "one of those wee little buildings for a group this..."

Radu held up a hand. "I assure you, dear Georgiana, it shall be completely suitable. We shall also maintain a room here as well, linked to the cottage through underground tunnels. My own and I shall make use of such things, that we might spend time here with our new friends as well, and perhaps be of use to the good innkeep." He nodded to Xandr. "Take all of our things and the rest of our people. See to it things are set up as in the manor. Don't let the horses stand without walking them first. They've been pushed hard of late. See to it they are well tended." Xandr nodded. "Georgiana, the good innkeep will be sending one familiar with the accomodations to assist you."

"I've doubts it'll be ready in a day," Georgiana protested. "Not properly so for a Prince, m'lord."

"Radu is fine," he sighed, shaking his head. "After all these years, we're well past titles aren't we, dear Georgiana?"

"You forget your station too often, m'lord, and allow others too as well of late. Yet your people look to you to lead. Don't forget that," Georgiana reminded him gently. "And still I shan't have it ready overnight."

"It is fine, dear Georgiana," Radu smiled. "My own will rest here,perhaps hunt tonight as Master Nopalo has given us leave to, then rejoin our new companions for the evening. I do not believe we will be to the cottage right away."

"Very well then." She hurried over to Nopalo. "Is this him, then? The one goin' with us?" She nodded. "Let's be off then."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Nopalo watched with a smile as Will, obviously excited about his new assignment, pitched in to help load the carriages. "Now, then, m'lord," he said, turning to Radu, "If ye're ready, I'll be showin' ye to yer quarters." He led the way along the same route he had taken with Soraya, entering the foyer near the stairway. Reaching the second floor, he showed them into the Master Suite, which comprised fully a fourth of the area there. Obviously a man's quarters, the rooms showed little of the delicate and feminine, except for one bedroom which, with its huge bed and ornate furniture, should be suitable for the twins. Large windows, looking out over the grounds, were effectively blocked with heavy drapes.

"If anything's not t' yer likin', m'lord, just say th' word, an' we'll be changin' it. There's splash sinks in each bedroom, an' two bathin' rooms; I hope that'll be enough. Miss Soraya is in th' next apartment - there's a connectin' door - but I've not made arrangements yet for yer other companion... th' feller in white robes....?"
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Radu smiled softly at the thought of the seraph. "It is a wonderful suite, well suited to our needs. However, if you could manage it, Master Nopalo, I should be most grateful to have Naitachel..." He tried not to laugh as he repeated the description, "the fellow in the white robes... nearby as well."
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Nopalo Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:50 pm

"Naitachel, is it?" the rotund innkeeper said. "Aye, well, I'll be rememberin' that. There's room enough for all yer party, an' if ye need more we'll be callin' in th' local mage t' make th' changes. Now, Prince Radu, if ye're satisfied with th' arrangements, I'll be leavin' ye t' get comfortable. Wup! Almost forgot t' show ye the tunnel entrance."

He led the way to an ornate bookcase, reaching up to pull a lever concealed as a decorative protuberance. The bookcase swung forward, disclosing a small landing and a set of stairs leading down. "Ye might want t' be a bit quiet as ye go down," he said; "th' stair runs past th' servants' quarters, an' they don't many of them know about it. There's nothin' tricky at th' bottom - just opens into th' tunnel, an' there's only one way t' go. An' now, m'lord, if there be nothin' else ye need, I'll be wishin' ye a fine stay, an' hope we can be helpin' ye make a comfortable home for yerselves."

He turned to leave, but stopped at the door. "Oh, when ye get settled in, there's a local family ye'll maybe want t' get acquainted with - Baron Victor, his name is. I think ye'll find ye have summat in common. Aye, well, dinner time; I'd best be seein' to me customers. Good evenin' t ' ye, m'lord."

Last edited by Nopalo on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nopalo
Nopalo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Prince Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Radu bowed his head in acquiescence, grateful beyond measure for the man's warm welcome. He made note of the mention of Baron Victor, smiling to find that he'd find a familiar face out this far. "Good evening, Master Nopalo." He smiled. "And thank you again, sir."

He moved swiftly and silently down the tunnel, assuring himself that their home was well underway, sending Vlad to the common area, as he was clearly thinking more of a certain red-head than of organization. Georgiana showed him around quickly, then shooed him and the rest back up the tunnel to the inn "back to good company and out of the way".

(Off to dinner. Smile)
Prince
Prince

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum